On October 14, 1913, Ethel J. Heath, Librarian of the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy, organized a social club at the institute under the name of Lambda Kappa Society. Eight women students: Annabel Carter Jones, Mary Connolly Livingston, Emma MacDonnell Cronin, Willette McKeever Cheover, Mary Durgin Loveland, Alice G. Coleman, Margaret M. Curran, and Rosemond A. Guinn, along with Miss Heath, are the charter members of our organization. For several years, the group held luncheon meetings which were productive of much good fellowship and understanding.
In 1915, because of class schedule conflicts, it was impossible to continue as a luncheon club and the organization became a society open to all women in attendance at the college. A new meaning was given to the Greek letters and Sigma was added to its name. During the year, an official badge, motto, flower, and colors were selected. The first steps toward becoming a national organization were taken in 1917, and the following year, the society became a secret and selective sorority, with the Boston group forming its Alpha chapter. Soon, other chapters were established. Also in 1919, the official coat-of-arms, designed by Cora E. Craven, was adopted.
The first national convention was held in 1926, in Boston, Massachusetts. At this convention, it was decided to reduce the number of Members-at-large to three, resulting in an eleven-member council. Also, the first issue of the TRIANGLE was published and presented in mimeographed form to the convention-at-large.
The Silver Anniversary Convention was held in the city of its founding, Boston, Massachusetts, in 1938. The delegates voted to join the Professional Panhellenic Association, becoming the first pharmaceutical sorority in the association. Omicron chapter of Detroit, Michigan was host to the 1940 convention. The Grand Council was changed by discontinuing the offices of Auditor and the Four-Year Member at Large.
The Women’s Health Issue project for the biennium was Endornetriosis and Project HOPE remained our international philanthropy. Communication during the biennium was through the publication of four Blue and Gold Triangles, eight issues of LinKS and two issues of the Alumni Newsletter. A new rush poster was unveiled and LKS launched its own web site at www.lks.org.
Expansion during the biennium included the chartering of Alpha Phi Chapter at Wilkes University in Pennsylvania and the establishment of a Portland (Oregon) Metro Alumni Chapter. As of July 1, 1998, membership stood at 18,102 with 44 collegiate and 34 alumni chapters chartered